Delicious tarts with a crumbly tasty pastry. Use marmalade for a tangy twist of the traditional raspberry or strawberry jam and of course a lemon curd.
Or line a tart tin with fruit and roll pastry in a circle large enough to cover and bake.
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
100g butter (hard margarine can be used or half quantity with lard)
1 beaten egg
2-3 tbsp water
1. Add the flour into a bowl and the salt (and xanthan gum if available)
2. Cut the butter up into small chunks and add to the bowl. Rub together to form crumbs
4. Add egg and stir briefly, then add a drop of the water until the mix starts to form a ball (dont add too much water here). The mix should be fairly formed and crumbly
7. Knead for 2 mins either in the bowl or on a floured surface
8. You can rest te pastry ball in the fridge for 20 mins if desired
8. Lightly flour the surface ready for rolling
9. Roll the pastry, turning frequently and using the rolling pin to pick the pastry up and move around.
10.Use a round crinkle cutter to cut 12 circles and place into tart tin
11. Add a teaspoon of lemon & lime marmalate (or jam of your choice) in each
12. Bake for 20 - 25 mins until brown at 180C
13. Cool on a wire rack